In the Palouse River valley of northern Latah County the communities of Potlatch, Harvard, Onaway,and Princeton lie along Scenic Biway 6, hence the name Scenic 6. Onaway and Potlatch are incorporated. Princeton, Harvard, and Potlatch each have a Post Office. The Potlatch School District 285 encompasses all four communities.
A Washington, Idaho & Montana railroad station 9 miles east of Potlatch, platted and dedicated May 28, 1906. Named by Homer W. Canfield, who owned much land along WI&M; location. For his cooperation during construction, the Company proposed to honor him by naming the station Canfield. He did not consent to the proposal, but assumed that he could choose a name; he chose Harvard. This set the patten for college names along the line. From A to Z in latah County, Idaho by Lalia Phipp Boone
Incorporated town just NE of Potlatch. Formerly Bulltown, for the pioneer Bull family. Onaway was a stage stop on the Wells Fargo line from Palouse to Grizzle Camp in the 1880’s. The town ceased to thrive after Potlatch was established as a company town.
The home and drug store of Dr. Joseph LePard near Onaway. For more photos see the Gallery, Onaway history
Princeton was founded in 1896 and named by Orville Clough, prominent lumber man and donor of the school site, for his hometown of Princeton, Minnesota. One of eight WI&M stations bearing the names of colleges, one of two not named by colege students, 4 miles east of Potlatch.
When construction on the WI&M began, Princeton was already a town with a post office, hotel, store, livery stable, blacksmith shop, two saloons, and a stage stop for the Palouse-Hoodoo stagecoach. It had started as a convenient stopping place during the mining boom, the placering by the Chinese, and the Hoodoos in the mid 1870’s. The Princeton Post Office opened April 18, 1894. From A to Z in Latah County, Idaho by Lalia Phipp Boone